As the controller of your data, Abacus Money comply with and are registered under the Data Protection laws in the United Kingdom and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We take all reasonable care with your data and are committed to preventing any unauthorised access to and use of your personal information.
The personal information we collect about you
Personal information collected may include:
• Identity Data including forenames, last name, maiden name, date of birth, gender, marital status, and username or similar identifier
• Contact Data including home address, email address and telephone numbers
• Financial Data including banks statements, payment card details, savings, debts such as loans and credit cards, income & expenditure, employer & pension benefits, and other assets
• Special Category Data including medical history
• Transaction Data including payments made for products and services you have purchased from us
• Technical Data including internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices used to access the Abacus Money website
• Profile Data including purchases made by you, feedback and survey responses
• Usage Data including information about how you use our website, products and services
• Marketing and Communications Data including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences
How do we collect your personal information?
Personal information is collected by the following methods:
• Direct interactions with an adviser in person, by post, phone, email or otherwise when sourcing and applying for mortgage, protection, insurance or wealth products
• Automated technologies or interactions with our website, by using the web enquiry form or the Find A Mortgage function
• Third parties or publicly available sources such as:
• Estate agents with whom you may be interacting, but only with your consent;
• New home builders, as a legitimate interest of the builder in order to assess affordability for the property;
• Enquiries you may perform on third-party mortgage sourcing websites.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information in the following circumstances:
• As your broker, to perform the contract to discuss your personal circumstances with mortgage lenders/protection providers, in order to determine the most appropriate product for your needs. This may include Special Category data such as medical history for the purposes of providing insurance for protection purposes.
• Where necessary for our legitimate interests, in order to review your mortgage, protection or investment product as part of an on-going relationship as your broker, to improve customer service by obtaining feedback, and to respond to or defend against complaints.
• Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, for example to fulfil our regulatory requirements to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Your personal information is required to enter into any contract you may undertake with us as your broker for a mortgage, protection or investment product, and for us to provide information on relevant products and services. Without this information it would not be possible for us to provide these services.
Re-engagement communications and marketing
You will have the choice of maintaining an on-going relationship with us as your broker and indicate if you wish to receive communications from Abacus Money about relevant services and products as part of on-going customer engagement.
You will also have the choice to opt-in to receiving other related marketing information and related products and services.
You can opt-out of receiving either of these types of communications at any time by contacting our Compliance team at or by clicking on the relevant link in email communications you receive from us.
However please note that your personal information will not be passed to any third-party organisation for marketing purposes.
Website Third-party links
Abacus Money website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
Who we disclose personal information to?
Your personal information may be shared with third parties for the following purposes:
These companies are required to ensure appropriate security measures are in place and maintain the confidentiality of your information, and to use your personal information only in the course of providing such services as specified by the Abacus Money.
How long is your personal information retained?
We only retain your personal information for as long as necessary. The table below outlines how long data is retained, and depends on the reason the personal information is used for:
After these retention periods if there is no other on-going client relationship your data will either be securely deleted or anonymised so that it can be used for statistical purposes but without any method of identifying you individually.
Sharing of data outside of the European Economic Area
Some of our external suppliers are based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA, specifically in the US.
Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
Your legal rights regarding your personal information
You have other rights regarding your personal information:
• You have the right to access your personal data to check whether it is accurate, and have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to receive a copy of your personal information we process.
• You also have the right to object and ask for the processing of your personal information to be restricted if you believe your information is not correct, is not being processed in accordance with this policy, or if you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms.
• You have the right to ask for your data to be deleted, but please bear in mind that there are other legal requirements that dictate how long personal information must be retained.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We keep our Privacy Notice under regular review and we will place any updates on this web page. This Privacy Notice was last updated on 23rd March 2018. Historic versions can be obtained by contacting us.
If you have any questions or complaints relating to how we use your personal information, or if you wish to exercise any of your rights regarding your personal information, please contact
or write to us at Abacus Money,1 Crendon St, High Wycombe HP13 6LE
We will respond to you as soon as is possible. The length of time will depend on the type and complexity of the request, but you will receive a response no later than one month from the initial request.
What if I am still not satisfied?
If you are not satisfied with how the Abacus Money has responded to your enquiry, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), who is the regulator for data protection in the United Kingdom.
Type of recipient
Internally within Abacus Money Group
Lenders and protection / insurance / wealth product suppliers
Estate agents / new home builders
Depending on your requirements, it may be necessary to share your personal data with Abacus Money’s specialist product providers in order for suitably qualified advisers to source relevant products and services or to re-engage with existing clients
To source and submit applications in order to conclude the contract for the mortgage / protection / insurance / wealth application and the ongoing servicing of these contracts.
Specialist IT system providers to facilitate the sourcing of products, to provide continuing advice as your broker, to inform you about relevant products and services, and to request feedback on customer service standards. It may also be necessary to share your personal information with non-affiliated companies who perform support services on our behalf including those that provide professional, legal or accounting advice to Abacus Money.
We may share information about the progress of your application with the firm of mortgage/protection advisers, estate agents and home builders with whom you are interacting.
Sharing of information may be necessary to fulfil our legal obligations as a regulated profession, for example with the Financial Conduct Authority, to verify your identity and comply with Anti Money Laundering legislation, and otherwise co-operate with law enforcement, legal proceedings or regulatory authorities.
Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice
Purpose of processing
Successful mortgage, protection, insurance & wealth applications
Withdrawn, stalled, incomplete and failed mortgage, protection, insurance & wealth applications
Affordability assessments for new build property
Enquiry data obtained from third parties (Estate Agents, websites) that do not result in an application for a mortgage, protection, insurance or wealth product
25 years from the date the mortgage is purchased or 7 years from the date the latest protection, insurance or wealth product expires, as a legitimate interest to allow Abacus Money to investigate and defend against complaints
2 years from the date the latest application was started
2 years from Decision In Principle if affordability check does not proceed to a full mortgage application
2 years from the date the lead was received from the Introducer